Sunday, October 04, 2009

New York, New York!

We went to New York last weekend for Zack's brother's (Dave) wedding to the lovely Sherrie. We left on Thursday morning and came back Monday evening and had such a fun time seeing the sites and visiting with all of Zack's family. It's rare that Zack and all 3 of his brothers and his mom are ever in the same place at the same time so it was a great weekend catching up with everybody. Aida had the best time. When I told her we were going to New York and it was a really big city she asked "Are there going to be skyscrapers?" I don't know where she even learned that word or associated it with big cities but she was excited when she saw how many skyscrapers there actually were.

Thursday night after we arrived and checked in, we went to Dave's apartment on the Upper East Side for an open house for all the family and wedding party. We were staying in Times Square (literally right across the street from the TKTS booth) and after a couple subway mishaps, being unable to catch a cab at rush hour during the UN weekend, and some walking we finally made it. It was such a fun night getting back in touch with everybody and Aida immediately became inseparable from her cousins, Dagny and Sumner (Dave's kids), and Alexis (Sherrie's niece). All we heard for the rest of the weekend was her asking when she would get to see her cousins again.

Friday we walked around Times Square and walked over to Herald Square to try to go to the top of the Empire State Building but we decided we didn't have enough time before we had to get ready for the rehearsal dinner. We thought we could just come back another day but ended up never making it to the top. After the rehearsal we had the rehearsal dinner at Le Train Bleu, a posh restaurant in the Bloomingdale's department store.

Saturday morning, Zack, Aida and I walked around Central Park. Aida played at one of the playgrounds and then we all rode the carousel. Zack left to go to Dave's house for some boy time before the wedding and Aida, Ysa (my sister-in-law) and I got ready, got a cab in record time (I think me being 7 months pregnant definitely helped) and made it to the church with about 10 minutes to spare. The wedding was at The Brick Church on Park Ave. It was a really beautiful ceramony and Sherrie looked absolutely gorgeous. The reception was at the New York Athletic Club and can I just say that was some of the best food I've ever had, wedding or not. Mushroom ravoli with sage cream sauce, goat cheese and fig salad, filet mignon and sea bass, fruit with vanilla creme sauce, and chocolate wedding cake. Aida and her cousins ran themselves ragged and we didn't get her to bed until close to midnight. Luckily she slept in till 10:30am on Sunday.

We went back to Dave's apartment on Sunday for brunch with all the family to see the newlyweds before they left for their honeymoon in Greece. After they left, the rest of the family all took a walk in Central Park and then went back to the hotel for some relaxing. I took a walk around our hotel while Zack and Aida were chilling. I went over to the NBC studios, Rockefeller Center, and Radio City Music Hall. I also stopped at Magnolia Bakery and bought two cupcakes. Those cupcakes were everything I've ever heard about Magnolia cupcakes and more. We went back to Dave's apartment for delivery New York pizza and more family time.

Monday morning we slept in later then we planned so by the time we packed and got checked out we had about 1.5 hours before we had to leave for the airport. We tried once again to make it to the top of the Empire State Building and actually got in the line but it was taking longer then we thought and we started to get nervous about time so we ended up bailing and catching a cab to the airport. We might have made it but I really didn't want to be stranded at La Guardia all day if we missed our flight.

Enough of me yapping, here is a slideshow of the pictures from our trip and a little video of Aida getting down at the reception:

Get the flash player here: http://www.adobe.com/flashplayer




Congratulations Dave, Sherrie, Dagny and Sumner!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home